When real life takes over

Posted on 11. Feb, 2011 by in Blogs

I’ve been travelling for nearly 4 months and not blogging anywhere near as much as I’d like to have Auckland Citydone. I could use hundreds of excuses but the truth is that ‘real life’ has taken over!

My first month was spent trying to settle and adjust, the next 6 weeks were spent travelling New Zealand and internet access was purely for the little updates along the way. Since being back in Auckland my time was initially consumed with finding a job, and now I’ve found one my time is spent living my new life.

I’m fully functioning in a new country. I have a good group of friends, a home (even if my bedroom is shared with 9 others), a full-time job and my weekends are filled with a combination of new experiences and the standard lie-ins and nights out. In fact I now find myself asking the question “Am I still travelling or am I cheating?”

I think the answer is easy…yes of course I am still travelling. I may be living in one place with a 6 month contract in the distance but I still have travel plans and that includes plans within New Zealand. I’m also doing things I would never do at home – for example wearing an afro wig at a surprise party on the beach!

Still it’s time for a change…I am hereby committing more time to Backpack of Dreams (yes we’ve heard this all before) but this time there’s a difference. I mean it! I’m planning on at least one post a week, starting this week.

18 Responses to “When real life takes over”

1. Kieron

11. Feb, 2011

Hallelujah! Haha.

Glad to hear everything is going great, looking forward to seeing more updates from you from the land of the sheep.

• Dayle

12. Feb, 2011

I know, better late than never! The updates will be coming on a regular basis, I’m back in blog land! I may even have time to make it pretty, but not promising!

2. Harrison

12. Feb, 2011

Of course ur still traveling 🙂

I happen to also get a working holiday visa approved back in December, but just from your point of view, what’s the job search like holding a WHV? Any tips you can impart?

• Harrison

12. Feb, 2011

And of course I meant for New Zealand WHV … haha.

• Dayle

16. Feb, 2011

Awesome! When are you heading over? Job search all depends what you’re looking for. I’d suggest tailoring a few CV’s for different types of work, look on SEEK.co.nz before you head over to see the salary range/type of work/location. If you’re looking for something specific you may find it harder but if you’re flexible then there’s jobs about 🙂

3. Jaime

16. Feb, 2011

Oh I love that everything is going great for you and you are having a ball. I can;t believe you have been on the road for 4 months already that is just damn crazy. And girl any time spent away from home is traveling so you are traveling. Keep having fun and enjoy it. Subscribing to your RSS right now (hadn’t done so yet…so sorry)!!!

• Dayle

16. Feb, 2011

I know where has the time gone? You’ll find the same thing happens when you leave in March! Don’t worry there hasn’t been much to subscribe to yet 😛

4. Living and working in a new country is an experience in itself! I’m going to have to visit your blog to get my fill of New Zealand since I have yet to visit!

5. Jeni

16. Feb, 2011

Can’t believe its been 4 months – sounds like you are having a ball! Really happy to hear that you have settled in nicely and I don’t think you are cheating at all! Love all your photos and love your blogs 🙂 xx

6. Wing

06. Mar, 2011

Hi Dayle, just found your blog through twitter. Really hope to read more from you as I am going to NZ for working holiday during April. I couldn’t find anybody to talk to about it without them going crazy with envy. Its ain’t so glamorous right, I mean its still work, just that with a lot of the fun factor. I want to scream I’m going cause its so hard to contain my excitement! Hear me out will you? (: I want to work at the dairy farms. Always more of an animal person. I know its a whole vomit of words. Any advise? Be waiting for more of your posts (:

• Dayle

18. Mar, 2011

Not long til your trip then! I don’t know, there’s a lot more fun to be had than whilst working at home I think! You make more effort to get out there and see things you wouldn’t see at home. You’ll be fine finding work, have a look at http://www.backpackerboard.co.nz, there’s a few dairy jobs on there and more come in. Where are you going to for your first stop?

• wing

03. Apr, 2011

I guess I will have a lot of fun in NZ. Always been more of a nature person. It is really an irony that I am born in Singapore because it is such a city. Diving, mountain climbing and I definitely want to try out sky diving! That is a great website. Bookmarking it. I’m flying in to Auckland this Thursday and see if I have any luck there. To be honest, I have no plans. I can never do plans.Get a phone and start calling. I will send CVs and visit the work agency when I reach. I going couchsurfing, so I guess I just play for the first few days. Ask the locals on places to get started(: Hopefully I can get the diary farm job. Thanks for the tips!

• Dayle

05. Apr, 2011

You’ll definitely enjoy NZ! Not long until you arrive now – sorry for the late reply I’ve been in Rarotonga. Are you couch surfing straight away? There are some dairy jobs going in Queenstown at the moment too from what I saw today and that’s definitely the place to be this winter!

• Wing

07. Apr, 2011

How is Rarotonga? I’m flying tonight and meeting my host tomorrow (: How long does it takes to move from the north island to south island?

Just googled queenstown. It seems like an awesome place! Adventure sports but I’m not a fan of the cold. Seems like wherever I go, I hit the cold season. Really gonna miss the warmth. I’m tempted by all the bungy jumping and stuff. Is the skiing season starting?

• Dayle

25. May, 2011

Sorry I’ve not been online in a while, if you can get to Rarotonga I’d recommend it, you can get cheap flights on grabaseat.co.nz and with Pacific Blue as well. You can get flights from Auckland to Christchurch or Queenstown, but I’d recommend making a road trip and allowing at least a week to get from Auckland to Wellington and then giving yourself at least 4 weeks travelling the South Island.
            It’s a bit warmer in the North Island, it’ll start warming up September/October time so not too long to go. Ski season starts 11th June on the South Island and end of June on the North Island

7. gg

24. May, 2013

Hugelkultur and Permaculture Plants The most basic beauty product that most women use is face makeup.